Tuesday, October 07, 2003

How can one be a Saint when Divine Providence Rejects him?

Ratzinger on John Paul I's election

A few interesting things. First, he notes just how healthy John Paul I was at the time of his mysterious death. While not a big fan of Conspiracy Theories, something is quite amiss in regards to the smiling Pontiff's death, and it is sorta wierd. Yet we won't go into that.

Ratzinger then talks about how he viewed John Paul I as a saint, because of his holiness.

Of course, traditionalists have said the attempt to canonize John XXIII and John Paul I is merely that of looking to canonize the New Order, and there could be some truth to that. The Meaning of a saint, has, in application, lost any real venerable meaning to it. A saint is something extraordinary nowadays, since we've had so many canonized to the fact John Paul II has been known as a "beatification and canonization machine." He was looking to again disregard any and all tradition by beatifying and canonizing Mother Theresa the same day, or even just skip right to the canonization, and he fast tracked everything. He may just want everyone to know for sure in his mind the obvious, but as I've said before, these actions have repercussions.

Raztinger, back to the article, also tells us that Divine Providence "rejected" the election of John Paul I, by killing him. While doing his best to say that "we didn't error" (And I agree) it's still quite a shocking statement. Think about that, God killed the Churches choice for Pope is what that almost boils down to. If it's true, and Providence gave a "no" to JP I's election, doesn't that sorta impede the idea he should be canonized as a saint, the first saint whom God rejected? Under todays meaning of saint, wouldn't surprise me if everyone tries it.